On 12/07 03:18 , Les Mikesell wrote:
> Shawn Perry wrote:
> > Tar works pretty good too, and it's quite a bit faster.
> >
> > To be honest though, BackupPC's data directory should ALWAYS be on an
> > LVM as it makes moving it SO much easier.
>
> What's easier with LVM in the usual case where you want to go to a
> bigger physical disk or md device and both new and old instances will
> have one partition taking all of the space?

I tend to agree with Les.
I used to set up BackupPC servers on LVM; and then realized:

- it's more trouble when trying to recover data from a corrupt fs/dead
  machine
- there is a performance hit, and BackupPC needs all the performance it can
  get
- we usually don't expand onto other disks in the array; normally when it's
  time to upgrade we move to a new machine anyway. So LVM isn't as useful in
  the case where it's supposed to help.

I'm not opposed to it; just keep in mind how likely you are to actually use
it, and what the drawbacks are.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator