I am obviously missing something very fundamental..

Changed Password (check)  [*sudu su -* was the trick, then could run
commands correctly]

Then the issue..  I went and and changed the TopDir setting and did the mv
command..  Now the server isn't running.  I tried to restart, no luck,
tried to mv things back, no luck.  I think my misunderstanding is the
filesystem and mounts...

/dev/sda6   :  mounted as root filesystem
/dev/sda9   :  mounted as /data01
/dev/sda1   :  mounted as /home (don't think that matters in this case)

I did NOT try to restart the apache2 service.

Error: Unable to connect to BackupPC server

This CGI script (/backuppc/index.cgi) is unable to connect to the BackupPC
server on TAS-Server port -1.

The error was: unix connect: Connection refused.

Perhaps the BackupPC server is not running or there is a configuration
error. Please report this to your Sys Admin.

*This is the error when I restart the service*

travis@TAS-Server:~$ sudo service backuppc restart

[sudo] password for travis:

 * Restarting backuppc...
    No process in pidfile '/var/run/backuppc/BackupPC.pid' found running;
none killed.

Use of qw(...) as parentheses is deprecated at
/usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Storage/Text.pm line 302.

Use of qw(...) as parentheses is deprecated at
/usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 1425.

2013-01-05 09:12:51 Can't create a test hardlink between a file in
/var/lib/backuppc/pc and /var/lib/backuppc/cpool.  Either these are
different file systems, or this file system doesn't support hardlinks, or
these directories don't exist, or there is a permissions problem, or the
file system is out of inodes or full.  Use df, df -i, and ls -ld to check
each of these possibilities. Quitting...

So, I think the mv must be the issue and it didn't like something...  When
I tried to move it back, I got an error on the log directory.

I have seen the one page about moving and copying, but some parts are not
making sense, I think it must be due to some links.

I don't want to uninstall and reinstall it all, as I want to understand how
to do this correctly.  Maybe that is easiest and then go from there.