Agreed, the webpage will not work until the server is running.  I do get
that, just trying to be complete in my giving of useless information!  I
appreciate all the help from the group getting a rookie up to speed.  I do
believe that looking at my options once I get this all setup I will have
learned something and have a great application running/working!

> So $TopDir isn't changed?   Or you are running a version earlier than
> 3.2.0?   Or permissions are wrong.  Or all of the above.

I am out of town on business, so I can't check until I am on a connection I
can xrdp into the machine, but I believe when I checked before while
reading other posts I have 3.2.1.  When I grabbed this text, it was AFTER I
changed it back to the "stock" location.  The text DID change when I had it
set at /data01/backuppc.  (I did try to keep it in a backuppc directory,
just like it was in \var\lib).  I had created that directory AND given it
the same permissions as \var\lib\backuppc before I did the mv into the
directory.

> However, in the distribution-packaged
> versions the packager has already done this step and made the decision
> according to the distribution guidelines and you are trying to 2nd
> guess it.   I'd do the re-install to get back to a known-good point.
> But, my best guess at what is wrong is that you have a symlink at
> /var/lib/backuppc pointing to something with the wrong
> ownership/permissions.   If you try to create that hardlink yourself
>as the backuppc user you might get a better diagnostic message.

You are correct, the distro (Ubuntu 12.10) package did set everything up,
just stinks it doesn't give you the prompt for the backup data location.  I
did the re-install before leaving and have it at a known good point.
 Webpage works, but I am not backing up anything yet (save the localhost it
auto-setup).  I also took a look at the directory and I believe it was the
/var/lib/log directory that was a sym link, to where I wasn't sure yet.

I will start from that point, but wanted to at least thank the group for
the help so far.  I do feel as if I am learning and just don't want to make
a mess of things, appreciate the dealing with a newbie at some of this!