On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:12:19AM -0600, Russell R Poyner wrote:
> I'm in the process of building a BackupPC set up for about 200 users.
> The possibility of "incrementals forever" that looks to be available in
> V4 is quite appealing.

Be careful with that. Some versions of Excel at least have a bug that
causes the contents of the (shared) file to be changed but the
modification date isn't.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/archive/2012/08/10/quot-date-modified-quot-time-stamps-on-shared-excel-files-stored-on-a-network-drive-will-not-update-correctly-after-saving-and-closing-the-file.aspx

The only things that will save you in that scenario is a full
backup. I had one case where the file was changed on a monday and the
6 incremental backups after that didn't have the change. The weekly
full (7 days later) did however.

Having full backups that byte compare the data (rather than pruning by
looking at data metadata) on a regular basis I claim is a best
practice.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111