On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 4:32 PM, Bob of Donelson Trophy
<b...@donelsontrophy.net> wrote:

> I am currently testing backing up one client machine from the other end of
> the vpn. I used the client machines ipaddress instead of it's hostname. The
> ssh key was copied and the backup began as expected. So, the different ip
> subnet did not matter to the backuppc machine. (First time I had ever tried
> backing up thru the vpn.) I also expected the backup to be slower thru the
> vpn than the local backuppc machine there and it appears to be that, slower.
>
> I figured, for now, keep it simple and just try this and see what happens.
>
> When the backup completes I will compare the two backuppc machine client
> data. I'm looking for redundancy with two backups per client machine in two
> different geographical locations, one local lan and the other at my house
> (other end of vpn.) Backup has been running about three hours now.
>
> Like you said, the two subnets are well translated by the vpn link.
>
> As far as his "string", I'm still studying what the "options" mean and might
> his way be a faster backup method or not. These are only thoughts at this
> point.

The -C enables compression for the ssh and is likely to help
considerably - unless your VPN is also doing compression.   The
initial copy of each client is likely to take a long time, depending
on the speed of your network connections, but subsequent runs with
rsync will be much faster, only copying the differences.   If the
initial full runs are impractical, it might work to initial set the
2nd server up locally, then move it to the offsite location with the
initial data in place - or ship a drive for a similar machine.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com