Bill,

/backuppc/cpool/0/0/0 is just one of the 4096 3.x pool directories (each of
the last three digits is a single hex value from 0..9a..f).  So to see the
total storage remaining in the 3.x pool you should do this:

    du -csh /backuppc/cpool/?/?/?

I'm not sure why some of the 3.x files didn't get migrated.  You could pick
one that has more than one link (eg: 00002564f9012849e45bfa1f4fd47578
above) and find its inode:

   ls -li /backuppc/cpool/0/0/0/00002564f9012849e45bfa1f4fd47578

then look for other files that have that same inode (replace NNN with the
inode printed by ls -i):

   find /backuppc -inum NNN -print

But given your point about 0/0/0 being quite small, it's unlikely this can
explain 3TB of extra usage, and I suspect the du command above won't show
more than a few MB.

So another path is to use du to find which directories are so large.  For
example:

    du -hs /backuppc

If that number is reasonable, then it must be something outside /backuppc
that is using so much space.

Next:

   du -hs /backuppc/cpool /backuppc/pool /backuppc/pc

Are any of those close to 3TB?  If so, do the du inside those directories
to narrow things down.

Is it possible your excludes aren't work after the 4.x transition?  For
example, on some linux systems /var/log/lastlog is a sparse file, and
backing it up will create a huge (regular) file.

You could also use find to look for single huge files, eg:

    find /backuppc -size +1G -print

will list all files over 1G.

Craig