On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Vladislav Kurz <vladislav.k...@webstep.net>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> First of all big thanks to all developers of BackupPC, it is really a
> very nice and useful backup tool.
>
> I use DumpPreUserCmd (and similar options) to run mysqldump, or make
> snapshots of filesystems before backup. I would like to have the output
> of these mailed to me instead of being just logged.

Probably not the direction you were thinking but why not create a systemd
service file for DumpPreUserCmd to start?

I'm assuming you're using a system which uses systemd...

If you prepend the command in the service file with a hyphen the unit will
exit cleanly even if the command failed...

ExecStart=-/command/to/run

Then you would set your DumpPreUserCmd to "/usr/bin/systemctl start <unit>"

You would want to set the unit type to "oneshot" so it doesn't return until
the command is finished.

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Richard