Hannes-

Option 2, Copying the the pool (tar, then copy) to a remote server appears
to be viable for small installations, and we've tested that with success.
But at a certain point, if you have a lot of machines, and your pool gets
large, that process becomes un-manageable.  (Our pool is about 3.5TiB for
just over 100 hosts backed up).  Just  tar-ing the data store up takes most
of the day.

So, Option 1 starts to look more appealing.   It may be that your primary
instance (local) has a more aggressive retention schedule than the remote
copy, or other differences like how frequently backups run.

--
Ray Frush

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Hannes Elvemyr <hanne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm using BackupPC for all my machines and it's great! I would now like to
> protect my BackupPC pool somehow (if my BackupPC server crashes, gets
> stolen or burns up I don't want to loose the data). As I see it, I have at
> least two options:
>
> 1. Run a second instance of BackupPC off-site
>
> This of course creates a new second pool, but that could actually be an
> advantage if one of them somehow gets corrupted.
>
> Pros: Two independent pools.
>
> Cons: Complicated setup. I need a VPN between my network and the off-site
> machine to get this to work, which turned out to be more complicated than I
> first thought (my current router does not support static routing, so a new
> router would be the first step). I would also need to sync the BackupPC
> configuration from my main BackupPC instance to the second one (if I change
> some configuration on my main instance, I would also like the second
> instance to get that change).
>
> 2. Copying the pool and send it off-site
>
> Pros: No need for a second BackupPC instance. Seems to be the easier
> solution if I can find out how to make a reliable copy of the pool.
>
> Cons: How to copy the pool? The version 4 documentation says that “In V4,
> since hardlinks are not used permanently, duplicating a V4 pool is much
> easier, allowing remote copying of the pool.”. Sound great, but how do I
> know that BackupPC is not reading/writing to the pool during the copying
> process (maybe some backup is running or BackupPC_Nightly could start doing
> some cleaning). Copying a large pool over a bad Internet connection could
> take hours…
>
> Any thought on this? How do you get redundancy of your BackupPC data?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> /Hannes Elvemyr

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.