On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta <
gandalf.corvotempe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
> In this case, you are making some full backups.
> I don't want to run any full backup except for the first one, like
> with rsnapshot.
> With rsnapshot, only incrementals are made. I don't want to run full
> backups because
> I have some very very huge servers that will took 2 or 3 days to
> transfer everything, but only
> a couple of hours to transfer the changed files during an incremental run.

With BackupPC 4.x  we only take a 'full' every 90 days, and because we're
using rsync, subsequent fulls aren't as painful as the first one.  We run
the full to ensure that all checksums match to avoid silent data corruption
on th storage

> So, what happens if I delete the filled backup ? I'll only loose that
> single backup point or even some subsequent incrementals are lost
> because some files was located to the "filled" backup ?

With BackupPC 4.x  if you delete a 'filled' backup (why would you do that
anyway?)  It just makes BackupPC work harder since it has to rebuild
references back to an older filled backup, which cost time while doing a
restore.  So you'll only lose the single day that you delete.

> rsnapshot make uses of hardlinks, thus, the only way to loose a file
> is to loose all hardlinks pointing to that file.
> on the first run, all files are transfered. On following runs
> (incrementals) only changed files are transfered, everything else is
> hardlinked to the first backup. If you loose the "first" backup, the
> hardlink is still resolved.
>
> With BPC is the same ?

BackupPC 4.x does not use hardlinks extensively, which is a big
improvement.   BackupPC 4.x keeps a hash tree of unique files, and a system
of file reference 'pointers' to build the backup tree.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.