On 21/9/17 00:34, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
Question:   Just how big is the host you're trying to backup?  GB?  number
of files?
 From BackupPC web page: 147466.4 MB, 3465344 files.
FYI, I have a single host with 926764MB, 5327442 files.
What is the network connection between the client and the backup
server?
4x 1GbE bonded on both sides.
Remote VPN, one end is 100M the other is 40M

Full backup is about 11 hours, incr is around 8 hours, up to 10 hours.

These stats simply say "It works for me". I see you are saying "It doesn't work for me", but I guess my statement will help you as much as your statement helps you.

I would guess that you have a bottleneck/performance limitation somewhere in your stack, and I'd suggest finding it and then hitting it with something appropriate. Check CPU utilisation on the client and server, memory usage, swap usage, and of course bandwidth usage. Once you rule out all of those, then you get to the fun stuff, and start looking at disk performance. While everyone says it is not accurate, personally, I've found that "/usr/bin/iostat -dmx" and watching the util column is a pretty good indicator.

Apologies, I certainly haven't followed the full thread, but at this point, throwing your hands in the air and name calling isn't going to improve the situation. Either you are interested in solving the problem, in which case you will probably need to get your hands dirty and work with us to find and fix it, or you don't really care, in which case we don't either (because it works fine for us).

Regards,
Adam