One of the more challenging aspects of this is the number of inodes that
BackupPC consumes
is directly related to how many inodes you're backing up.   If I recall
correctly, in
BackupPC 4.x, each 'filled' backup will use 2 inodes per object backed up in
addition to
the inode consumed by the unique hashed file.
One has to understand well the environment they are backing up in order to make
a informed
choice about the number of inodes required by BackupPC.   I know I didn't on my
first
pass!  Our current set of backups (~30 days) uses 93 Million inodes and 4TB of
space to
backup 126 hosts.   Metadata alone takes up 357MB on our NAS.
--Ray FrushColorado State University.