Ahhh, I think I know what‘s going on now.  I run Debian stable on all my
systems so still on version 3, yes.

It’s been several years since I copied the files over, before the old disks
were sent for shredding, so they’ve been sitting there as disabled hosts and
I’ve only now got around to finally sorting it out.  Reading back over the
documentation and searching the list archive, I think what I did was to just
copied (preserving hardlinks - I am very familiar with the issues of copying
entire, but not partial, BackupPC stores having done this many times, and
currently do so monthly for offsite/DR purposes) the pc directories, so
although the duplicated files were still hardlinked together (as they came from
the same backuppc filesystem) nothing I copied over will be in this system’s
pool (this process was suggested on this mailing list circa. 2012).  I know I
followed someone else’s advice on this for precisely the reasons you describe
and this is the first, and I expect will be the only time, I’ve tried to
partially or selectively access a subset of data in a BackupPC store.

What I was tying to do at the time was resurrect access to these specific
hosts, so preserving hardlinks within there pc directories but not adding to
the live system pool was sufficient (and within my understanding of the storage
structure ;) ).   You’re spot on that trying to merge the pools myself is
beyond my current understanding of the storage structure, with I don’t “really
really understand”.

Assuming this is what I did, that makes sense of what I’m seeing now, if I’m
getting an approx. 50% hit rate on files already in the pool, on this live
BackupPC, from other hosts and their backups - 50% is higher than I would have
presumed but still plausible.  Having found the old mailing list post
suggesting just copying the pc directories (with the caveat that it loses the
benefits of pooling for new backups) I’m 90% sure this is what’s going on,  I
may try and confirm it tomorrow (if that’s right, nothing from these old pc
directories will exist in the pool).

I’ll have to modify my plan and work through one old host at a time, instead of
restoring all the data at once then sorting it.  I was expecting (having
clearly forgotten how I got these old systems backups into my current BackupPC
install) restoring all the old backups to my current desktop system would have
negligible impact on the pool’s free space and I could tidy up the defunct pc’s
configuration and pc directories before I’d made a significant dent in sorting
through the restored files.  Hopefully doing it a host at a time then removing
that hosts configuration and pc directory will release enough space from files
not shared between the old hosts to keep at least one backup copy (old or new)
of all of the data as I go, just in case.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I wouldn’t have found the old message and
realised the above hypothesis, which makes sense of the situation, without it.

Laurence