Jeff,

For restores, there could be a long list of specific files or directories
to restore, which might not fit on the command line, so that's what
triggered putting everything in a request file and just passing its name.
There are also several other settings specific to the restore (eg, the path
to restore to etc), none of which are in config files.

Craig