Hi Sorin, Jeff, et al.

Disclaimer: My work was build on top of Benjamin Renard and already received contributions from i.e. Richard Hansen and a Github user named "wwuck".

On 2021-01-05 19:42, Sorin Srbu wrote:
On Tue, 2021-01-05 at 12:28 -0500, backu...@kosowsky.org wrote:
Sorin Srbu wrote at about 16:35:16 +0100 on Tuesday, January 5, 2021:
[...]
 > On Tue, 2021-01-05 at 09:13 -0600, Robert E. Wooden wrote:
 > > On 1/5/2021 9:05 AM, backu...@kosowsky.org wrote:
> > > I don't have a BPA, but I have compiled my own bpc 4.x for Ubuntu
 > > > 18.04 - with code from June 2020.
 > > > I can send you the packages if you want...
> > > Sorin Srbu wrote at about 15:50:05 +0100 on Tuesday, January 5, 2021:
 > > >   > Hello all!
 > > >   >

 > > I was searching for this the other day (because CentOS 8 goes EOL
> > 12-31-2021) and found there are *.deb packages somewhere on the wiki > > pages. Might be the packages being discussed here, if so, sorry for
 > > redundancy.
 >
 > Found them on
 > https://github.com/backuppc/backuppc/wiki/Build-Your-Own-Packages.
 >
> So this guy Raoul Bhatia is known on this list and in BackupPC dev circles?
 >
> And yes, I've picked up some paranoia too during my time away from BPC, and
 > tend use official stable releases. :-)

I started with Raoul's packages for 4.0.x but they weren't being
frequently updated. I downloaded them and examined the package code -
all looked legit.

So, I used them as the basis for creating my own version with more
updated code.

Gotcha', thanks.
Will look into rolling my own upgrade eventually it seems.

I think Debian may use a newer stable release of BPC.
Maybe I can find something there. Till now, I've focused on Ubuntu packages
only.

FYI: I am packaging as time permits (job, family) and on the architectures used by myself or explicitly requested. Thus, there might not be an up-to-date package that fits your environment. However, I am definitely *very* happy to accept pull requests and/or other contributions.

Additionally, others started to build off of my work, i.e. https://launchpad.net/~rhansen/+archive/ubuntu/backuppc (though it seems it hasn't been updated to 4.4 yet?).

Having said that, there is also an effort underway to officially package BackupPC 4.4 for Debian.
It was recently submitted and is already available on testing.
You can find details here https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/backuppc
(Though I did not yet check the current status/differences)

Eventually, my plan would be to switch to the official Debian packages (that will also end up in Ubuntu somewhen) and continue my contribution there.

I would be hopeful that my package would fit your needs.
Feel free to get back to me with any questions and/or suggestions.

Cheers,
Raoul
--
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia MSc