This is rsync related, not specific to rsync-bpc.c.  From options.c in
3.1.2 and 3.1.3:

                /* We make use of the -e option to let the server know about
                 * any pre-release protocol version && some behavior flags.
*/
                eFlags[x++] = 'e';
#if SUBPROTOCOL_VERSION != 0
                if (protocol_version == PROTOCOL_VERSION) {
                        x += snprintf(argstr+x, sizeof argstr - x,
                                      "%d.%d",
                                      PROTOCOL_VERSION,
SUBPROTOCOL_VERSION);
                } else
#endif
                        eFlags[x++] = '.';
                if (allow_inc_recurse)
                        eFlags[x++] = 'i';
#ifdef CAN_SET_SYMLINK_TIMES
                eFlags[x++] = 'L'; /* symlink time-setting support */
#endif
#ifdef ICONV_OPTION
                eFlags[x++] = 's'; /* symlink iconv translation support */
#endif
                eFlags[x++] = 'f'; /* flist I/O-error safety support */
                eFlags[x++] = 'x'; /* xattr hardlink optimization not
desired */
                eFlags[x++] = 'C'; /* support checksum seed order fix */

Craig