Hi,

My Problem: When doing an incremental backup with smb, only files with mtime
newer than the date and time of the last backup are being backed up.

To reproduce: If I copy a file with an old ctime, the file is not included
in the backup even if it is not contained in the previous complete backup.
Only the timestamp of the mtime seems to be relevant - even if the file is
not present in any backup so far.

I am not sure, if this behavior is intended or if I have misconfigured smb
backup settings.

The problem would be solved with the next complete backup. However, due to
my circumstances, I can rarely do a full backup. And only with rsyncd,
because smbclient aborts after a while, because I have to backup lots of
files (> 1.000.000), which takes usually more than a day. (However, not due
to configurable time limits, which I extended generously.)

An incremental backup with rsyncd unfortunately takes almost as long as the
full backup, so I need to do the incremental backups with smbclient. This
takes only minutes (with only a few changed files), but misses new files
with an old date.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Jens