On 9/13/21 6:00 PM, Juergen Harms wrote:
This is not the place to fight for being right, but to understand and document help for users who hit this kind of problem.
Agreed.  But what kind of response is expected when you say "what makes it *look as if* your installation works is that...", other than "no, it *actually does* work"?  (Rhetorical question.)
Trying to understand: how do you define separate and different profiles ("per-host override configs") for each of your 18 different PCs in one single .pl file (i.e. your file at /etc/backupp/hostname.pl) ? or do you mean by hostname.pl a list of specific files where hostname.pl stands for an enumeration of 18 files with PC-specific names?
`ls /etc/backuppc/*.pl` lists 19 files, "config.pl" and 18 separate "[hostname].pl" files.

The (non-commented-out) contents of the [hostname].pl files range from the very brief

$Conf {RsyncClientPath} = '/usr/bin/nice /usr/local/bin/sudo /usr/local/bin/rsync';

(for a BSD-based box that just has rsync in a different location than where debian puts it) to the slightly-more-complex

$Conf{RsyncShareName} = '/cygdrive/c/';
$Conf{PingPath} = '/bin/echo';
$Conf {RsyncClientPath} = '/usr/bin/nice /usr/bin/rsync';
$Conf{RsyncSshArgs} = ['-e', '$sshPath -p 2022'];
$Conf{DumpPreUserCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x -l backuppc -p 2022 $host "/backuppc/pre-cmd.cmd"'; $Conf{DumpPostUserCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x -l backuppc -p 2022 $host "/backuppc/post-cmd.cmd"';

(used by most of the Windows hosts, although some omit the lines setting an alternate ssh port or disabling ping checks)

If the latter is the case, our disagreement is very small: each of these files in /etc/backuppc provides config info for one pc, and the pc/ directory does not harm, but is not used (I tried both variants - with and without specifyint pc/ - both work)
I'm mildly surprised by the last parenthetical there.  I had expected BPC to look only in /etc/backuppc/pc, with the symlink allowing admins to place the configs directly in /etc/backuppc (where I believe most debian-familiar admins would expect them to go).  I hadn't expected the symlink to be entirely superfluous.