I say "it works" because (for me, at least) it. does. work.

I have per-host override files at /etc/backuppc/hostname.pl (which is the same as /etc/backuppc/pc/hostname.pl, thanks to the symlink that you seem to loathe so much).  They work.

Hosts which do not have per-host override files in /etc/backuppc use the settings in /etc/backuppc/config.pl.  They *also* work.

As I mentioned earlier, I am backing up 89 hosts via backuppc. 71 of them are linux hosts using the default settings from config.pl.  The other 18 are a mix of Windows, Macs, and various BSD-based appliances, and these 18 use per-host override configs. All 89 work, with no special handling beyond (for the 18 non-linux machines) creating the per-host configs.