On 17/2/2022 23:43, Bruno Rogério Fernandes wrote:
Maybe I've got a solution

Instead of modifying backuppc behavior, I'm planning to disable compression setting at the server and create a FUSE filesystem that transparently compresses all the images using jpeg-xl format and put backuppc pool on top of that.

The only problem I can think of is that every time backuppc has to do some reading the FUSE will also need to decompress images on the fly. I have to do some testing because my server is not much powerful, just a dual-core system.

I was thinking of something sort of similar....

Why not use a fuse filesystem on the client, which acts as a kind of overlay.... All directory operations are transparently passed through to the native storage location. Reads/writes however are filtered by the "compression" before being transferred to the server. The saved bytes at the end are converted to null which keeps the file length the same as the server expects, but will compress well with pretty much any compression algorithm.

By not modifying the directory information, all the rsync comparisons will work without any modification. There is no added load for backuppc, and in addition, there is no change to the client when accessing images since it would access the real location, not the FUSE mounted version.

Just my thoughts...