FWIW, the log directory in Arch Linux is /var/log/backuppc, and it's not a symlink.

On 11/3/22 14:04, backu...@kosowsky.org wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote at about 13:58:26 -0500 on Thursday, November 3, 2022:
  > On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 1:39 PM<backu...@kosowsky.org>  wrote:
  > >
  > > Also, /var/log/BackupPC is a weird location unless it is a link to
  > > something like TopDir/log in which case it should contain files of
  > > form LOG.z and LOG.N.z -- but again these are not the relevant log
  > > files.
  > >
  > > Reading the documentation would be a helpful thing to do -- it was
  > > written for a purpose!
  >
  > The log location is almost certain a distribution-packaging choice, so
  > along with recommending reading documentation you might also point out
  > that the source documentation may not match what is actually installed
  > and running.

I think it must be a link to TopDir/log since in my understanding of
the BackupPC codebase, references are relative to TopDir -- unless the distro
decided to essentially rewrite tons of core code. My guess is the
distro wanted to put a link under /var/log so that newbie users could
find the log files even if they are not aware of the backuppc dir structure.