Hi there,

On Sun, 10 Dec 2023, Samual Flossie wrote:

The server log has a bunch (17k) of "BackupPC_refCountUpdate: missing pool
file" messages. Reread the v4 docs, github wiki, issues and a bunch of
messages on this email listserve.

I am correct that these messages are benign and do not indicate that a
backed up file is missing a pool file?

I believe you are correct.

My overriding concern is that a file will not be able to recover
when needed and that issue was signaled by a benign log message.

I'm sure that you are right to be concerned.  I would be.

What additional steps should be taken to resolve these
"BackupPC_refCountUpdate" messages?

Does this help?  It's just one result from a quick search.

https://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg33090.html

It seems that this issue has cropped up before without an obvious
cause, but there was a suggestion that an unclean server shutdown
might have been implicated.  I think that's just a guess.

Full marks, incidentally, for looking at your server logs. :)

--

73,
Ged.