I run ZFS, and you could always add an extra drive to the mirror, so that
instead of having two, you have three. You have a pair of them that you can
save as on-site and off-site backups. Put one on the system, zpool attach
it, let it resilver (across both drives). That would reduce the stress on
the existing pool.

However, I run FreeBSD and have *both* backuppc (because I have a couple of
non-FreeBSD boxes), and a robust snapshot architecture. I am using
zfstools, however am considering checking into an alternative (e.g. zelta,
syncoid, etc).

I have the snapshots on my desktop (mirrored pair 250GB SSDs and mirrored
4TB spinning rust) and laptop (mirrored 480GB SSDs) as follows:

   - Snapshot every 15 minutes (4 snapshots)
   - Top-of-the-hour one becomes the hourly (24 snapshots)
   - Midnight hourly becomes the daily (7)
   - Sunday daily becomes the weekly (4)
   - First weekly becomes the monthly (12)

So I have snapshots going back a year. And then, since I have a TrueNAS
core box that *also* runs ZFS, I will zfs send my  daily snapshots to the
pool on the NAS. In addition, I run backuppc to have another long-term
source of backups, and for my few linux boxes...