On Thu, Aug 22, 2024 at 1:57 AM Ghislain Adnet <gad...@aqueos.com> wrote:

> thanks Les,
>
>  i must say that i never changed the rsync options so i will have a deep look
> at it, the recommanded settings for v4 and what i use that is quite old i
> admint.
>
>                 '--super',
>                 '--recursive',
>                 '--protect-args',
>                 '--numeric-ids',
>                 '--perms',
>                 '--owner',
>                 '--group',
>                 '-D',
>                 '--times',
>                 '--links',
>                 '--hard-links',
>                 '--delete',
>                 '--delete-excluded',
>                 '--partial',
>                 '--log-format=log: %o %i %B %8U,%8G %9l %f%L',
>                 '--stats',
>                 #
>                 # Add additional arguments here, for example --acls or
> --xattrs
>                 # if all the clients support them.
>                 #
>                 '--acls',
>                 '--xattrs',
>                 '--temp-dir=/var/tmp',
>
> the one in https://github.com/backuppc/backuppc/blob/master/conf/config.pl
>
>     '--super',
>     '--recursive',
>     '--protect-args',
>     '--numeric-ids',
>     '--perms',
>     '--owner',
>     '--group',
>     '-D',
>     '--times',
>     '--links',
>     '--hard-links',
>     '--delete',
>     '--delete-excluded',
>     '--one-file-system',
>     '--partial',
>     '--log-format=log: %o %i %B %8U,%8G %9l %f%L',
>     '--stats',
>

> they seems quite similar to me but i will look.
>
> $Conf{RsyncFullArgsExtra} is not set on my configuration so i will add it
> with --ignore-times :)

While you are at it, be sure you understand the implications of that
--one-file-system option which also changed with v4.   Without it you
will wander into DVDs or network mounts that happen to be present when
backuppc runs even if they are temporary.  With it you have to
explicitly all the partitions you want backed up and pay attention if
that ever changes.   As for your comments on filesystems, I think you
are better off using a raid system that will remove the bad disk if
errors are detected, rebuilding when you replace it.  I always liked
the simplicity of software raid1 (mirrored) because you could recover
from any surviving disk on any computer with a compatible interface or
even a USB adapter and a laptop, but realistically most raid
controllers are good enough.  Also having the server on a UPS is a
good idea since files/filesystems can be corrupted if you lose power
when writing.  Your comment about rsync failing with OOM mostly
applied to older versions that had to read the entire directory tree
into memory before starting - and that and network errors don't
normally corrupt existing files, so they auto-correct on the next run.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com