Hi.

Sean O'Grady wrote:

Well its good to know that Bacula will do what I need!

Guess now I need to determine what I've done wrong in my configs ...

I'm short forming all the config inforation to reduce the size of the e-mail but I can post my full configs if necessary. Anywhere where I have "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" I've posted that section of the config. If there is something else besides "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" needed in the configs to get this behaviour to happen and I'm missing it, please let me know.

The short form is ok :-)

Now, after reading through it I actually don't see any reason why only one job at a time is run.

Perhaps someone else can...

Still, I have some questions.
First, which version of bacula do you use?
Then, do you perhaps use job overrides concerning the pools or the priorities in your schedule?
And, finally, are all the jobs scheduled to run at the same level, e.g. full, and do they actually do so? Perhaps you have a job running at Full level, and the others are scheduled to run incremental, so they have to wait for the right media (of pool DailyPool).

Arno

Any suggestions appreciated!

Sean

In bacula-dir.conf ...

Director {
 Name = mobinet-dir1
 DIRport = 9101                # where we listen for UA connections
 QueryFile = "/etc/bacula/query.sql"
 WorkingDirectory = "/data/bacula/working"
 PidDirectory = "/var/run"
 Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
 Password = "****"         # Console password
 Messages = Daemon
}

JobDefs {
  Name = "MobinetDef"
  Storage = polaris-sd
  Schedule = "Mobinet-Cycle"
  Type = Backup
  Max Start Delay = 32400 # 9 hours
  Max Run Time = 14400 # 4 hours
  Rerun Failed Levels = yes
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
  Reschedule On Error = yes
  Reschedule Interval = 3600
  Reschedule Times = 2
  Priority = 10
  Messages = Standard
  Pool = Default
  Incremental Backup Pool = MobinetDailyPool
  Differential Backup Pool = MobinetWeeklyPool
  Full Backup Pool = MobinetMonthlyPool
  SpoolData = yes
}

JobDefs {
  Name = "SiriusWebDef"
  Storage = polaris-sd
  Schedule = "SiriusWeb-Cycle"
  Type = Backup
  Max Start Delay = 32400 # 9 hours
  Max Run Time = 14400 # 4 hours
  Rerun Failed Levels = yes
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
  Reschedule On Error = yes
  Reschedule Interval = 3600
  Reschedule Times = 2
  Priority = 10
  Messages = Standard
  Pool = Default
  Incremental Backup Pool = MobinetDailyPool
  Differential Backup Pool = MobinetWeeklyPool
  Full Backup Pool = MobinetMonthlyPool
  SpoolData = yes
}

Storage {
 Name = polaris-sd
 Address = "****"
 SDPort = 9103
 Password = "****"
 Device = "PowerVault 122T VS80"
 Media Type = DLTIV
 Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
}

In bacula-sd.conf

Storage { # definition of myself
Name = polaris-sd
SDPort = 9103 # Director's port WorkingDirectory = "/data/bacula/working"
Pid Directory = "/var/run"
Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
}

Device {
  Name = "PowerVault 122T VS80"
  Media Type = DLTIV
  Archive Device = /dev/nst0
  Changer Device = /dev/sg1
  Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a"
  AutoChanger = yes
  AutomaticMount = yes               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes
  LabelMedia = no
  Spool Directory = /data/bacula/spool
  Maximum Spool Size = 14G
}

In bacula-fd.conf on all the clients

FileDaemon {                          # this is me
 Name = polaris-mobinet-ca
 FDport = 9102                  # where we listen for the director
 WorkingDirectory = /data/bacula/working
 Pid Directory = /var/run
 Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
}

Arno Lehmann wrote:

Hello,

Sean O'Grady wrote:

As an alternative which would be even better - All 5 Jobs start @ 23:00 spooling data from the client, the first Job to complete the spooling from the client starts writing to the Storage Device. Remaining Jobs queue for the Storage Device as it becomes available and as their spooling completes.

Instead what I'm seeing is while the first job executes the additional jobs all have a status of "is waiting on max Storage jobs" and will not begin spooling their data until that first Job has spooled->despooled->written to the Storage Device.

My question is of course "is this possible" to have Concurrent Jobs running and spooling in one of the scenarios above (or another I'm missing).

Well, I guess that this must be a setup problem on your side - after all, this is what I'm doing here and it works (apart from very few cases where jobs are held that *could* start, but I couldn't find out why yet).

From your description, I assume that you forgot to set "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" in all the necessary places, namely in the storage definitions.

I noticed that the same message is printed when the director has to wait for a client, though. (This is not yet confirmed, noticed it only yesterday and couldn't verify it yet).

If so I'll send out more details of my config to see if anyone can point out what I'm doing wrong.

First, verify the settings you have - there are directives in the client's config, the sd config, and the director configuration where you need to apply the right settings for your setup.

Arno

Thanks,
Sean

--
Sean O'Grady
System Administrator

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by Oracle Space Sweepstakes Want to be the first software developer in space? Enter now for the Oracle Space Sweepstakes! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7412&alloc_id=16344&op=click _______________________________________________ Bacula-users mailing list Bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users

-- IT-Service Lehmann [EMAIL PROTECTED] Arno Lehmann http://www.its-lehmann.de