On Thursday 23 June 2005 13:34, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 June 2005 09:57, Arno Lehmann wrote:
>
> variables:
> >>Yes, and after experimenting a bit I hope python will make this much
> >>simpler...
> >
> > It seems terribly ironic that now that 1.37 is almost out, there is an
> > important interest in variables.  Instead of writing something myself, I
> > unfortunately took someone else's code, which is very complicated -- both
> > the code and the way the variables are implemented.  They defy my ability
> > to understand them once one tries to increment and do other things at the
> > same time.
>
> Interesting indeed that variables are coming up so often recently...

Clearly there is a need ...

> > Now is *really* the time for people to start trying Python -- there are
> > still problems (a few memory leaks), and certainly much more to implement
> > to make it really useful.  What I hope is to be able to provide a certain
> > minimum set of features to be able to replace variables with version
> > 1.37.  Then over time, I think we will be able to implement some really
> > incredible things.
>
> I guess so... memory leaks don't bother *me* too much as I have the
> backup server automatically shutdown after all jobs are done...
>
> > Things you can already do with Bacula/Python:
> > - Get control and hence replace RunBeforeJob and RunAfterJob
> > - Since you can test the status, you could also replace RunAfterFailedJob
> > - Create Volume names (much more sainly than with variables)
> > - Run a job
> > - Cancel a job
> > - Get control in a Python script at: JobStart, JobInit, JobRun, JobEnd,
> > NewVolume (needed), Exit (Bacula).
>
> During JobInit, will it be possible to change job parameters like
> storage, pool etc., and have the director verify their new settings?

That is the idea, but it is not realized yet, and unless someone starts using
it, and gets down to discussing specific needs, it will undoubtedly wait
until after 1.38 is released and people *do* get down to requesting specific
items.

> What I'm thinking about is moving part of the scheduling info into
> python scripts to make things more flexible. For example, when job
> upgrading takes place use the right storage device or, for example, have
> every third full backup go to a new volume for archival porposes or
> something like that. Especially with automatic upgrading this is
> currently rather difficult to manage automatically.

I would hope that the basic "generally useful" features will be directly
included in Bacula and the Python will serve mostly for specific
customization.

> > What you cannot yet do is:
> > - Have access to the database
>
> I guess this will be implemented soon, as discussed on bacula-devel.

I'll probably implement some minimalist solution.

> > - Have access to/change counter variables
>
> Seems very important :-)

Unless users directly access the DB from Python.

> > - Change job parameters (i.e. in JobStart change the level, priority,
> > ...)
>
> See above...
>
> > - Query what is running (other jobs)
> > - Query what is scheduled
>
> great. Hopefully the complete job information including upgrading etc.
> will be available... but I guess this is hard or even impossible to
> implement.
>
> > - Get control when the Job Status changes
>
> Might this be the right hook to have automatic job transfers to another
> storage device? For example, jobs pauses due to tape full -> script
> queries which devices are available -> sets job to use another storage?

Changing from one storage device to another is unfortunately out of the
question for the current code. It will take some major brain storming design
work

> Anyway, lots and lots of fun opportunities.

Yup -- and work, which is hard when it is 30+ degrees. :-)

Kern

  (">
  /\
  V_V