Hello,

On Friday 29 July 2005 03:44, Paul Store2 wrote:
> I posted 1 message earlier and got prompt answers which I appreciate
> greatly.  I think I'm almost there but I have 1 more question.
>
> I have Exabyte VXA-2 PacketLoader 1x10 1U Autoloader that I'd like to
> use with Bacula 1.36.3 on Fedora Core 3.
>
> 1)  Currently Bacula is configured to backup data to HD and that's working
> fine.  After configuring bacula-sd.conf as shown by others I can run
> the following command so OS can talk to the tape library.
>
> ---mtx-changer works---
>
> > /etc/bacula/mtx-changer /dev/sg5 list 0 /dev/nst0 0
>
> 1:A0000001
> 2:A0000002
> 3:A0000003
> ---end---
>
> 2)  But Bacula still couldn't talk to Exabyte Autoloader properly.  It
> turns out that Exabyte cannot be controlled properly if it's connected
> to a SCSI RAID Controller.  It needs to be connected to Adaptec 2960
> Single Channel or similar non-RAID SCSI card.  I got and installed
> LSI20320RB Single Channel controller.  This card allowed my server to
> talk to autochanger properly.
>
> 3)  Following the directions on  (
> http://www.bacula.org/dev-manual/Testing_Your_Tape_Drive.html#SECTION000371
>000000000000000 )   I started testing the tape library.
> 3.1) I stop all Bacula services and run following commands and they all
> work.
>
>    mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
>    tar cvf /dev/nst0 .
>    mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
>    tar tvf /dev/nst0
>
> 3.2) Following command is what I have problem with.
>
> > ./btape -c bacula-sd.conf /dev/nst0
>
> (In my case   /usr/sbin/btape -c /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf /dev/nst0 )
>
> This starts the testing process of the VXA2 tape drive.
>
> >*test
>
> The tests complete successfully and than it asks:
> >Do you wish to continue with the Autochanger test? (y/n)?
>
> I type y and than I get the following error message.
>
> --error--
> 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded" command.
> 3991 Bad autochanger command: /etc/bacula/mtx-changer /dev/sg5 loaded
> 1 /dev/nst0 0
> 3991 result="mtx: Request Sense: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00
> 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> ": ERR=Child exited with code 1
> You must correct this error or the Autochanger will not work.
> *
> --end--
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I wish everyone wishing help would be as thourough as you.

I suspect that the problem lies in mtx.  It is a very fragile program as Peter
has pointed out.  I'd recommend that in the "loaded)" section of mtx-changer,
you put a   "mtx -f $ctl status"  (or whatever is the correct syntax) just
before the one that obtains the loaded status, then ignore the return code
from that call.  Leave the existing call to mtx after the new one you add.
Hopefully, this will have the effect of clearing the error status from the
SCSI channel.

You might also check to ensure you are using the latest mtx version, though
since you are using FC3, I think you are OK.

> Here's the section that I've added in bacula-sd.conf to try to
> configure Exabyte Tape library.
> --bacula-sd.conf--
> Device {
>   Name = FileStorage
>   Media Type = File
>   Archive Device = /mnt//bacula
> #  Archive Device = /tmp
>   LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
>   Random Access = Yes;
>   AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
>   RemovableMedia = no;
>   AlwaysOpen = no;
> }
>

> Device {
>  Name = "Autochanger"
>  Media Type = VXA2
>  Archive Device = /dev/nst0    # Normal archive device
>  Changer Device = /dev/sg5     # Generic SCSI device name
>  Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
>  Autochanger = yes
>  LabelMedia = yes;
>  AutomaticMount = yes;
>  Spool Directory = /bspool/
>  AlwaysOpen = yes;
> }
> ---end---
>
> This section is bacula-dir.conf, in case you need it.
> ---bacula-dir.conf---
> Storage {
>   Name = Exabyte
> # Do not use "localhost" here