Quoting Sascha Alexander Jopen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi list,
>
> i'm trying to get my Seagate STT20000A IDE Travan Tapedrive to work with
> bacula-1.36.3 with no success. I think this should be possible, but i
> can't figure out the right parameters for this drive.
>
> I tried both the native ide-tape driver and the ide-scsi/st drivers for
> this tape.

[snip]
> Maybe someone got such a drive working with bacula and can post me the
> right config section.
>
> Buying a new DLT or DAT drive is no option, as i have this drive with
> several tapes. The capacity is sufficient for my home office, and new
> drives and tapes are too expensive for the moment.

The native IDE tape driver has been broken for several years (since
1.12 IIRC) for the STT200000.  The version included with SuSE 9.3,
1.19, is much improved and still unusable.  The SCSI emulation has
given errors for the last several years, but been usable.  IIRC, it
isn't reliable enough in SuSE 9.3 to depend on.

I have switched to DVDs for backup.  Drives on sale are half to
quarter the price, media is nearly 1/100 the price (0.40USD
vs. 30USD), and capacity is 40%.  Read and write speed is much higher,
1/2 hour for 4GB vs. 3 1/2 hours for 10GB.

HTH,
  Jeffrey