| Disks are very convenient but a bit expensive for archival storage. A
72 GB DAT tape is about $20. A hard drive is a bit more.

| You have to think about the the threats that you are protecting against.

These are real problems -- I'll address how we've handled them with our
disk backups below.

| 1) Theft of the servers - If they steal your backup disk with this,
then what?

Two problems here - one is the exposure of sensitive data, the other is
the loss of your backups. I will address loss of backups in the next point.

Whether you're using tapes or disks, you're bearing the risk of exposing
sensitive data. There are a variety of factors that increase the risk of
exposure via the network and/or physical access -- are all your backups
available on disk? Do you have a full tape library available to the
backup server? Are your backup servers secure -- both on the network,
and physically?

The only (nearly) fool-proof answer to this problem is encrypting the
data before it even reaches the backup server. With this in mind (and to
meet Visa CISP requirements), we store customer credit card data
encrypted, and the backup server never has access to the keys.
Additionally, our backup servers are placed under lock and key.

Once the Bacula data encryption project is finished, it will be possible
to encrypt data in the file daemon, further decreasing the risk of
sensitive data exposure.

| 2) Destruction of the building - fire, etc. If you lose the entire
data center, it would be nice to have some off-site media.

Our answer to this was to place a machine in a remote location. Our
backups -- including a SQL dump of the catalog -- are automatically
synchronized (using rsync) to the remote machine. If the building burns
down, the machine is stolen, or San Francisco slides into the ocean, our
backups will be safe.

| 3) Loss of a drive. Drives are one day closer of failing every day.
What if it is your catalog database?

This is real concern. We currently use RAID-1 mirroring on our backup
servers. Once our data storage needs grow larger, we will move to RAID-5
with a hot spare. SATA-based RAID-5 can scale quite large for relatively
little money.

Cheers,
landonf