Arno,

These customers are not the most technically feasible people, and I balk at them actually using a console program to do restores. They were previously using a graphical Arcserve program under Netware. I really don't want to make them open up another wx-console and type mount, but from what I understand this might be what I have to do.

What I've done so far is added the Max Wait Time directive, and changed the cron jobs to "RunBeforeScript" and "RunAfterScript" to do the mounting/unmounting and labeling of Friday's tapes.

Know of any better GUIs for bacula that might be better suited for an end user?

-Jimmy

Arno Lehmann wrote:

Hello,

Jimmy Cartrette wrote:

Hi,
I've just started using Bacula, and I'm having several issues. The
pressing one right now is, I just went to a customer site, and used
wx-console to show them how to do a restore. I set her to the operator
email address, and she got an email to insert the "Wednesday-2" tape. We
did that, but it did not progress at all until I manually went over to
the server and issued the mount command. When running the restore job
through the wx-console, the console was greyed out and I could not issue
a mount command after inserting the correct tape.

Did you use the wx-console feature with the Restore mode tab?

I never got around to trying that, but I remember that I had some difficulties with that. Quite a while ago, though.

try running the restore from the command prompt, and see what happens.

Is there a way to
force Bacula to read this tape label and start the restore after a tape
has been inserted? It's a SCSI-2 HP Surestore DAT 24 model c1556d

It doesn't matter what sort of tape you have, once it is configured correctly.

You can start another console on the operator's machine and issue the mount command from there, anyway.

On a related note, I'm currently trying to write scripts to get through
the problems I'm encountering with bacula. I have two scripts right now,
one to run an 'unmount, mount' command before the nightly(weeknights)
backups to get it to recognize the current tape in the machine.

This sounds like it could cause trouble... you should take care to unmount first and then replace the tape, after which you would label and mount it.

Bacula doesn't really like if you swap the tape when it is mounted.

That
script also has to cancel any jobs currently trying to run(ie if the
user forgot to put in the tape that day or if a holiday comes up and
they can't change tapes).

That's a bad thing in itself... you could use the directives "Max start delay" and "Max wait time" to work around such events.

The other script I'm using labels the tape every friday(they use a new
tape every friday) so the backup will run.

You could also see if automatic labeling works with tapes - I think it should, but I never tried it.

Has anyone run into these problems before and know of a good solution?

I found that the best solution was to avoid the problems :-)

Most of what you need can be achieved by a clever setup of bacula itself, the rest is a question of proper operation - which you want to ensure anyway with backups.

Arno

-Jimmy