<snip>

> In principle you are right, but personally, I would be a bit nervous
> restoring
> a 2.6 system using a 2.4 kernel.  For example, there are often new features
> added to newer kernels -- e.g. ext3 probably was not in kernel 2.2, so trying
> to get back an ext3 system would be a bit hard.  Anyway, as I say, in
> principle, you are right, but good restore practice (IMO) dictates using the
> best matched kernel possible.

ext3 is actually just ext2 with a journal, so you can in fact mount an
ext3 file system as ext2 without any issues (of course the journal
wouldn't be used).

I agree with you though, it's best to keep systems as close as possible
when restoring, or you do run the risk of introducing unexpected issues
when you least want/need them.

- Si

<snip>
--