Alan Brown wrote:

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, Timo Neuvonen wrote:

- nominally, the next tape would be taken into use in the beginning of every
month

Reasons behind this are minimal manual handling of the tapes, knowing there will be loss of up to one month's data if the current tape gets destroyed. I
believe my tape drive (Exabyte VXA-2) could handle this.

Does bacula have the syntax to say "first tuesday of every month" ?

Setting Max use duration helps too.

Why tuesdays? Most holidays/long weeekends use Mondays or Fridays. If this isn't true for your area, use wednesdays.

We switched to this policy soem time back on other backup systems for weekly/monthly backups and it made life a lot easier. Using an autochangwer for bacula I don't have to worry too much about exact timings but by policy the tape status (should be in safe/changer) is looked at on tuesdays too.

AB

That's exactly the policy we currently use. Our former policy was "on the first of the month, unless it's a weekend or holiday." I like this one better. ;)