On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 10:50 +0100, Geir Asle Borgen wrote:
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> >
> >   Geir> On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 19:52 +0000, Martin Simmons wrote:
> >   >> >>>>> On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 11:12:30 +0100, Geir Asle Borgen
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> >
> >   Geir> If I have understod it right will the volume be purged/deleted
> before
> >   Geir> the retention time for files, jobs and volume stored on the
> specific
> >   Geir> volume. And to restore files you need both the volume (where
> the files
> >   Geir> are stored) and the job info (stored in the database, not on
> the
> >   Geir> volume).
> >
> >   Geir> My problem is the backupstrategi we use here. We take
> incremental  backup
> >   Geir> to disk every working day, but once a month we take full
> backup to tape.
> >   Geir> So fare, all is good. BUT we have all the 12 month-tapes
> stored for a
> >   Geir> year, and we also have a year-tape who is stored for all
> future. The
> >   Geir> consequence of this is that I have to set job retention to
> something
> >   Geir> like "for all times"!?!
> >
> >   Geir> Most restores are done on files lost less the a month ago ...
> but form
> >   Geir> time to time I have to go to tape and get older files. But if
> job
> >   Geir> retention is set to never expire all files will be stored on
> disk as
> >   Geir> well for all time ... and I will run out of diskspace.
> >
> >   Geir> Is there some things I can do to be able to restore files
> older then one
> >   Geir> month (form tape, but not loos the job-info stored in the
> database)?
> >   Geir> Will deleting `rm VolumeXX` from the disk and setting job
> retention to
> >   Geir> 99 years do the trick? Or will that just F****P everything?
> >
> >   >> Have you considered setting the Volume Retention for the disk
> volumes to
> >   >> something like 60 days?  That will override the longer Job
> Retention and allow
> >   >> the disk volumes to be recycled.
> >
> >   Geir> Yes, I have considered that, but is that the way it work? Does
> Volume
> >   Geir> Retention override Job Retention?
> >
> > Yes (and the File Retention).  The manual describes this in more
> detail.
> Hurray ... this solves the problem (maybe I have to buy glasses? Or drik
> mor coffee?)
Hmm ... now I have a:

Volume Use Duration = 10 min
File Retention = 30 min
Job Retention = 2 h
Volume Retention = 30 min

Just for testing ... I run 4 jobs whit 10 min in between, and get 4
volumes. When the last job is finished the first job is purged from the
"list jobs" in bconsole. So fare so good, but how can I use this whit my
month-tape setup. If I understood Martin Simmons right it is possible to
restore form a volume where the job retention still is'nt run out (the
volume is on a tape and set to readonly). HOW ... I can't understand how
I can do this ...

--
Phone Work: +47 69212321 / 2321  Phone Priv: +47 69809853 (o_  <><
            +47 99521685 / 3137                           //\