Why not use a hard disk in a USB enclosure? That way you don't have to mess with shutting down the machine.

Otherwise I think it would work fine as long as the hard disk is in the machine before the backup starts.

You wouldn't need bacula to send the email to the operators.  Just setup an email script run from a cron job that emails the operator at a set time before each backup.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Bacula would only email you if it didn't find a volume at the time of the backup and wouldn't email you ahead of time.