Christoph Haas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> - Network: 10 MB/sec
> - USB: 10 MB/sec
> - ATA: 40-50 MB/sec
>
> So in your case it will probably not make a difference which system you use
> to run and control the backup.
>
>> The recepticle drive would them be mounted as a smb share from the
>> gentoo box.  Does this present a problem for bacula?
>
> Why don't you just put the director/storage daemon on the Gentoo box and
> run Bacula clients (file daemons) on the Windows boxes? That way you can
> directly restore files on the Windows workstations without needing a
> working Samba.

Well, I thought that was what I was describing.  I'm visualizing the
gentoo data being networked to the external drive attached to one of
the win boxes too, not just the winxp data.

Another fact of my setup is that the winxp boxes all talk to each
other on gigbit ethernet which adjusts itself to 10/100 when it finds
it.   Gigabit is nearly a necessity with video files if you use one
machine to render while another does the editing.  Also important when
backing up from a machine not attached to external drive and moving
its data to that external drive.

So I'm guessing the FD on a winbox will talk to diretor over 10/100
ethernet but actually move files on gigabit ethernet, since the
receptical drive will be on one of the winxp boxes.

I've never gotten around to installing gigbit adapters on my main desktop
(gentoo) or the fw (openbsd).  Or in fact on my laptop which really
needs it.  The other two don't really.

Anyway to get to another aspect of all this:

After rereading the part about volumes and pools etc.

Tell me if I'm getting the right picture:
  [Bac-dir
   Bac-SD
   here]            FD
   Linux <----->  win1 <-> external drive
    FD           |   |
                win2 win3
                 FD   FD
External drive has a pool with volumes named after each box.

Each of these volumes may have several different trees from the source
machine.  Like /etc /home /home/projects being separate inside the
volume.  And the incremental to each also separate or however bacula
organizes stuff.

The winboxs may be the same.  That is, a few directory trees but not
necessaryily the whole box.

I'd probably leave the OS partition on win boxes to ghost, since those
disc-images are so easy to use in case of a full wipeout.

My 160Gb external drive is shrinking as I write... hehe.