I had a 1.38.0 on FC4, with mysql support. Installed from binary rpms loaded
from Sourceforge.

Now, I tried to build rpm by myself, from the 1.38.3 source rpm from
Sourceforge:

#!/bin/bash
rpmbuild --rebuild \
--define "build_fc4 1" \
--define "build_mysql 1" \
--define "build_mysql4 1" \
bacula-1.38.3-1.src.rpm

I've also tried without mysql4 option, same results.

Packages build and install nicely. SD and FD start also nicely, and stay
alive too.

Director seems to start ok, but
  service bacula-dir status
just results in
  bacula-dir dead but subsys locked

During build there were some harmless-looking warnings, like "return value
of some function not used" etc. Didn't really look like a problem.
Conf files are the same I had with 1.38.0
Nothing new in /var/log/messages

Any ideas?

--
TiN