Arno Lehmann schrieb:
> On 1/19/2006 3:11 PM, Ralf Gross wrote:
> [snip]
> >At the moment, tapes are the only way to archive data and put them into a
> >safe here. 200GB+ disk are still more expensive and need more space than
> >tapes.
>
> No, I wouldn't recommen to use disks as backup media *shudder*...
> rather, I suppose you might find that an autoloader with more slots
> might better suit your needs.

You are right, the changer is 6 six years old! Unfortunately the
budget situation is a bit tight at the moment. But that's an other
story.

> >>Apart from that, I don't exactly understand why you make a distinction
> >>between archive and regular jobs. The simplest solution is to keep the
> >>full backups as long as you need them, and have the differential and
> >>incremental jobs go to pools that cycle more quickly.
> >

> >I want to keep the monthly archive tapes for 2 years. But the regular full
> >backup should be kept only 14 days. I want to change the tapes only one
> >time a month. Thus the regular backup must be overwritten more frequently
> >and I think I have to use 2 different jobs/pools to achieve that.
>
> Difficult.
> You could do this differently, too, but that would require clever
> scripting (for the retention times etc.) and a rather complicated setup
> of your schedules.

I'd like to keep this as simple as possible, because the setup is not
for a typical IT department. I'll be the only person that (hopefully)
will have detailed knowledge about bacula.

> Still I wonder why you need that distinction - I mean, you're doing the
> full backups anyway, and why not simply remove the volumes for one of
> the full backups once a month, set their status to Archived, and thus
> keep things simpler (and needing less autochanger slots)?

If remove the tapes and put them into a safe - which might be placed
at a differnt location - and I need them for a restore I'll lose some
time. That was one reason for the 2 differnt jobs/pools.

I think I've to take a deeper look at the documentation to get the
whole picture, what I can accomplish with bacula.

> >>In that case, you could leave the diff/incr volumes in the changer and
> >>only remove the full backup volumes.
> >

> >Hm, you would use 2 separate pools for the full and inrc. volumes, take
> >out the monthly tape and put it in the safe? How can I be sure the monthly
> >tape is not overwritten by a regular job if I forget to take it out? (I'm
> >sure this is covered by the manual...).
>
> True. Retention times is the keyword...

I'm quite sure that I'll have some questions to the retention times in
the future (no threat! ;)

> >The focus should be - as mentioned
> >above - to change the archive tapes only once a month.
>
> Should be possible... an actual estimate with real numbers and all that
> stuff would usually be something I get paid for :-) but I suppose you
> might find that you don't have enough slots:

Agreed!

> Only talking about server 2. Three tapes per full backup. You keep them
> for two weeks and need space for the next backup: 9 tapes already.

Ok, with 12 slots it seems to be the best method to have just 2 jobs
for the 2 server and handel the archive tapes as you mentioned above.

> >>Maybe... start with a simple experimental setup, with a small fileset,
> >>disk based volumes, and run your backups multiple times a day. This
> >>would allow you to observer the volume management live.
> >

> >That's a good idea. Is it possible to simulate the changer behavior with
> >slots in any way (I guess not)?
>
> That's not possible, but you will not need that, too. You can emulate
> your setup by manually creating the volumes you'd have in the
> autochanger. These volumes can belong to different pools, and you can
> limit the size each volume can have.
>
> Whenever you get an operator intervention request you know that you'd
> have to take some tapes and go to the autochanger in "real life".

I'll try that after building 1.38.5 from source.

Thanks, Ralf