Hi,

I don't know if this is of any news value, but I just tried Bacula on
up-to-date Fedora Core 5 test2.

I tried version 1.38.5-4 with mysql, built it from the source rpm with
options FC4 and mysql4. Compiles... umm(*... quite nicely, and installs and
runs ok -just made a short test run of a simple backup and restore using a
file volume. The main idea was just to check if I can get it running. I
didn't even try to install any X-related stuff, since I'm used to work from
command line.

I think the only thing I needed to set manually was owner of /var/bacula, by
default only root had write permission there. But I didn't try tape access
(no tape drive in that tester hw), so no idea if tape drive permissions are
ok by default.

*) umm = Quite an amount of warnings, mostly related to some pointer issues.
I didn't stay next to screen all the time, so maybe it was just when I
happened to be nearby. This might be because of the (possibly?) more strict
warning policy on the compiler? Or maybe I just didn't remember the amount
of warnings that comes on FC4.

One issue is, that FC5 has mysql5. Are there any compatibility issues? So is
it safe to run Bacula which is compiled with mysql4 option, while mysql
actually is version 5?

Anyway, it ran without any errors.

ps.
I think sometimes last year there were some discussion about uid values for
user bacula. Was there a loose plan to find out if a certain numeric value
could get reserved for user bacula? Are there any common values people use
today for bacula, or does it vary from system to system?

--
TiN