In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:

> I have only ever used Amanda with the tar backend (never dump), so I can
> only speak to that.  Amanda's tar backend works exclusively with, and
> requires, GNU tar.  Amanda uses GNU tar's listed incremental mode.  See
> http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_node/Incremental-Dumps.html
> for details.

tar's listed incremental mode is seriously broken; at  least  it  was
when  I  tried  to  use  it  -  espeicially  when  combined  with the
--one-file-system option. Basicly it may omit whole directories,  and
different  ones depending if you use relative or absolute path names.
I've been told at that time that one must not  use  --one-file-system
and  --listed-incremental  in one call, which makes this unusable for
any bigger systems with mounted partitions.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CAUTION:  The Mass of This Product Contains the Energy Equivalent  of
85 Million Tons of TNT per Net Ounce of Weight.