Well, if they are all the same age and have been written to roughly an equal number of times, that might be a possibility. I have had a few go at around the same time (not simultaneously, but within a week or so of each other).

I would have a little bit of trouble believing that HW compression is the cause either, considering IIRC you said this is a setup that was working for awhile with no changes (unless the tape drive is just on its way out and is having trouble doing compression -- not a failure mode in my experience anyway).