On 4/18/06, Brian A. Seklecki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
This is a new drive? New tapes? You've got termination setup properly?

Try seeing if you can write all zero's to the tape:

$ mt erase
$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nsa0 bs=512k

It should run for a while until it gets EOT.

You're going to have to experiment with permutations of the following
settings until your drive passes btape test:

#  Hardware End of File = no
#  Hardware End of Medium = no
#  BSF at EOM = yes
#  Backward Space Record = yes
#  Backward space File = yes
#  Forward Space Record = yes
#  Forward Space File = yes
#  Fast Forward Space File = yes
#  TWO EOF = yes

~BAS

   My problem now is more bigger, after some test today, right now my HP Ultrium is unnavailable, yes is offline. I dont know why this happend, this start went i insert the last "Tape Cleaner", wich reject me the first time, i have a new one, but this one wasnt to old, used 10 times only, today i use that Tape Cleaner 4 times. After that i was trying to insert the Tape, normally went you insert the Tape, just a small push and the device insert the Tape automatically, now if i insert the Tape the device dosent detect the Tape, if you push the Tape dosent do anything, is like obstructed, just press the eject button and the device eject the tape.

   I reset the device and nothing, same problem, i think the "sensor" stop responding i reset the Box, and receive the error i have seen on a lot of maillist:

ahc0: target 6 synchronous at 40.0MHz , offset = 0xf
(sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): error 6
(sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): Unretryable Error
(ahc0:A:6:0): Sending WDTR 1
(ahc0:A:6:0): Received WDTR 1 filtered to 1
ahc0: target 6 using 16bit transfers
(ahc0:A:6:0): Sending SDTR period a, offset f
(ahc0:A:6:0): Received SDTR period a, offset f
        Filtered to period a, offset f
ahc0: target 6 synchronous at 40.0MHz, offset = 0xf
(sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): error 6
(sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): Unretryable Error

zorra#mt status
mt: /dev/nsa0: Device not configured

my console:
[...]

  I want to try this with FreeBSD 6.0, but right now i need Technical support for the tape. I feel sad because i want to setup the backup server with FreeBSD and show to my boss that this Software can doit, and look now my problem...i can backup on Disc but i prefer to use  the tape.

  Some solution to this Hardware problem...?

 What i need to do is(i think:-?):

*Fix the problem
*Try to get another cable, this one is old, but my btape test was a success...?
*Test with FreeBSD 6.0, 6.1
*If  i  receive the same problems i have with 5.4
    Update the Firmware
 *If i update the firmware and my test again fail
   Use mmm i still dont know...

  We can buy 2 HD do a Raid-1, setup bacula there, on HD the backups work great, but this is a great device 200GB is a waste of equipment, dont yu think...?

  Any tips to fix my device will be apreciated really!!!