On Fri, 5 May 2006 14:47:12 +0200
Kern Sibbald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> When I was first researching the kind of basic organization I wanted for
> Bacula, I took a look at Amanda, read a bit on their email list, and talked
> to a user who had used Amanda, which basically from what I understand works
> much like that.  That is Amanda figures out what has to be done then does it.
>
> Well, the person I talked to about Amanda and a number of other users
> complained the most about precisely that feature.  Now, it doesn't mean that
> it is a bad feature, but it means that the issue is rather complicated to
> implement in a way that will please everyone (I certainly didn't know how to
> do it). As a result, I decided to do it the "traditional way".

That's interesting to know.  It pretty much validates my concerns, I
suppose.

> That said, I have often thought of adding directives to guarantee that
> certain
> levels are performed at specified intervals (i.e. Differental at least once a
> week, ...).  In the future, I could see adding some additional resources such
> as your Policy idea (cool) that along with some basic scheduling information,
> might decide more appropriately or rather dynamically what level to run when.
>
> Most adminstrators will still want considerable control over exactly when
> certain backups run to avoid interferring with users or to reduce network
> congestion ...

Theoretically, there could be additional configuration to moderate
usage.  Such as directives to limit bandwidth usage to different amounts
at different times of day.  Or a directive to indicate that a specific
system is only available for backup at certain periods.  To really do
it correctly would probably be _very_ complex.

I was thinking that an interesting interim step might be a front-end
program that allows you to enter the business logic (servers, data
importance, etc) and then generates a configuration from that input
that would work with the current Bacula.  I'm frightened of the SWAT
problem (i.e. the SWAT config tool for Samba is really nice, but
once you've used it you can never manually edit the smb.conf file
again!)  So the tool would have to store extra config data in "magic"
comments (or something) so the admin would still have the ability
to manually adjust the config.  I only wish I had time to work on
this.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.