Hello Robert,

> I was having similar performance problems until I made sure flow
control
> was
> enabled on the two machines and the switches in between them. After a
lot
> of
> tweaking I have transfer rates around 10 MB/s.

Hmm... Could be, but why would the bacula 1.37.32 client transfer over
10Mbytes/sec on the same host to the same storage daemon running 1.38.8
on a Solaris 9 server? No other changes except for the client daemon.

Win2000 with 1.38.[8|9] --> Solaris 9 with bacula 1.38.8 = 174Kbytes/sec

Same Win2000 box with 1.37.32 --> Solaris 9 w/ bacula 1.38.8 =
16Mbytes/sec

And the network between is a gig Ethernet dedicated to SAN and backups.

I have ran several tests with two different servers one was a Win 2000
Server with up to date patches and the second was a Win 2003 Server with
up to date patches. And I saw the same performance 1.37.32 client gave
acceptable performance of 7 to 16Mbytes/sec while the 1.38.[8|9] client
always ran sub 200Kbytes/sec.

> The really strange part is I can't seem to get local backups above
about
> 7-8
> MB/s.  They start out around 17 MB/s for the first GB or so and then
> slowly
> decrease till they average 7-8 MB after 7 GB.  This is using spooldata
> separate spindle on a separate controller from the system drive and
the
> ones
> being backed up.  Probably some kernel parameter related to the
loopback
> interface but I haven't been able to figure it out.  This is on Fedora
> Core
> 5 running x86_64.

Tom.
----