On Thursday 15 June 2006 11:42, Alan Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Kel Raywood wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> >>  ... It is now necessary to be a rocket scientist before even
> >> considering using the GNU C++ compiler :-(
> >
> > Rocket scientists are notoriously bad programmers so I don't think that
> > this is some to aspire to.
>
> Amen - and astronomers are worse. I have to cleanup after both.

Hmmm.

For the non-English mother tongue speakers, the term "this is (or is not)
rocket science" is a good old American expression meaning this is (or is not)
complicated. I'm not the one that invented the expression, but I like it just
the same :-)  Probably my all time favorite expression is "grande guele",
which translated literally means "big muzzle (mouth of carnivorous animal)",
but properly translated is "loud mouth".

> Kern, how well does bacula cope with directories that have 300,000+ files
> in them? (no, not being humourous)

Well, it really should not have much trouble backing them up or restoring
them, though the restore may be a bit slower when creating so many files in
one directory -- this is really OS and memory size dependent.

On the other hand, building the Bacula in-memory directory tree using the
"restore" command could be *really* slow because to insert each new file in
the in memory tree goes something like O(n^2).  It does use a sort of binary
search insert algorithm, but stepping from one "binary" location to another
is not done by simple indexing as in most binary inserts, but by walking the
chain the given binary step size.

Note Bacula uses a binary search insert not a binary tree -- the alogrithms
are *very* different.  I have implemented Red/Black binary tree class
routines which should be *much* faster than binary search routines, but they
have never been implemented in the in-memory tree code.

Kern

  (">
  /\
  V_V