Hello,

On 6/19/2006 5:15 PM, Lars Uhlemann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are runing bacula now for one year. Current runing version is 1.38.8.
>   We backup a amount of around 4 TB of data and more than 15 Million files.
>
> OK, i start to restore a job with 1,9 TB and 12 Million files. I select
> the JobId's and wait for the restore command line. After 3,5 hours
> bacula-dir crashes with a:
>
> *19-Jun 16:49 backup-dir: ABORTING due to ERROR in smartall.c:132
> *Out of memory
> *19-Jun 16:49 backup-dir: Fatal Error because: Bacula interrupted by
> *signal 11: Segmentation violation
>
> The select from the postgres was done after 55 min (Postgres bacula has
> idle status) and an btraceback shows me that bacula-dir is building the
> dir tree. But it crashes.
>
> The Backup machine has 2 Gbyte of Ram and 4 Gbyte of swap. During
> building the dir tree the phsysical Ram is only 50Mbyte and the swap has
>   only 50% of his capacity. With "sar -r" i followed the rising memory
> allocation of bacula-dir but in the last 50 minutes it stay at 50% and
> crahes.

This is, unfortunately, a known issue (which obviously becomes more
serious as Bacula is used in bigger and bigger installations).

If I understand it correctly, Kern has some ideas how to handle this
problem but will probably not work on it really soon.

There are several possible solutions:
- Avoid Bacula building the whole directory tree by using other
selection methods. This will not work if you need only a set of files
and don't know which ones before you start the restore job.

- You can try to modify your MySQL configuration so that it uses less
memory, but I don't think this will help you - the problem is inside
Bacula itself.

- Fix Bacula yourself :-)

- Or try the recover.pl script from Karl Hakimian, which is in the
examples directory in the cvs tree. It works with PostgreSQL only AFAIK.
It might be possible to adapt it to MySQL, I think.

- Finally, you can try a script recently mentioned:
http://brestore.webhop.info/ is definitely worth a look, but it requires
a graphical environment and GTK.

Arno

> Thanks for your ideas and support!
>
> Lars
>
> Biocenter TU Dresden, Germany

IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]