Hi,

On 6/22/2006 1:55 PM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Monday 19 June 2006 22:11, Arno Lehmann wrote:
>>>The Backup machine has 2 Gbyte of Ram and 4 Gbyte of swap. During
>>>building the dir tree the phsysical Ram is only 50Mbyte and the swap has
>>>  only 50% of his capacity. With "sar -r" i followed the rising memory
>>>allocation of bacula-dir but in the last 50 minutes it stay at 50% and
>>>crahes.
>>
>>This is, unfortunately, a known issue (which obviously becomes more
>>serious as Bacula is used in bigger and bigger installations).
>

> Whoa.  There is NO known issue of Bacula crashing during the building of the
> tree.  Users with underpowered machines or inefficiently tuned machines have
> experienced some excessive waits for the tree to build.  However, there are
> users with 6 Million files who are able to use the restore in a reasonable
> time.

I'm quite sure I recall reading about crashes... and even if they arise
from a database problem it's quite related to Bacula in that case.

Anyway, using the term 'issue' I didn't want to imply that there's a
programming bug in Bacula, rather that this is a limitation that is
known and can not easily be overcome.

I know what I'm writing about, my backup machine is also seriously
underpowerded ;-)

>>If I understand it correctly, Kern has some ideas how to handle this
>>problem but will probably not work on it really soon.
>

> The most effective solution for the moment it to ensure that everything is
> properly tuned -- especially for the SQL engine, and if I am not mistaken
> that is documented ...

Hmm. The only performance tuning hints in the manual I could find are
rather cursory: "For MySQL, what seems to be very important is to use
the examine the my.cnf file. You may obtain significant performances by
switching to the my-large.cnf or my-huge.cnf files that come with the
MySQL source code."

While the above is definitely right, I suspect that tuning MySQL can be
much more sophisticated. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do with
this goal.

Arno

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]