Hi Orallo,

I guess by "rotate" you mean reusing tapes, i.e. overwriting it (them),
say after a week, with the new backup, right?

In my expierience this can be done most comfortably by setting
configuration directives in the Pool - Resource:
Pool {
        Name = "WhattheheckdoIknow"
        blabla-alotofothersettings-blabla
        # Works only as long all jobs fit in one tape!!!:
        Maximum Volume Jobs = <Number of Full Jobs / Number of Incremental Jobs
per day multiplied by days with increm. backup>
        Volume Retention = 6 days
        Autoprune = yes
        Recycle Volumes = yes
        Prune(or was it Purge?) Oldest Volume = yes
}
Notes:
Have two Pools: One for full, one for incremental backup. You can name
them Weekly(for full) and Daily(for increm.)
This protects you from accidentally overwriting

You can set a lot of other Retention periods in other places (please see
manual for that, that's too much for this evening)
My suggestion is to remove them all (be careful with the default configs!)
and control it exclusively in the Pool-resource:
This way you avoid confusion and can get familiar with this aspect of
bacula.
Personally, I don't use File Retention or Job Retention. I have it all
referred to my Volumes by using Volume Retention.
(It's called 'tape handling', right? ;-) )

If you have done changes in your bacula-dir.conf:
1. Restart bacula (that's still the best way to know bacula respects your
changes)
2. Use the Update - command in bconsole:
   a) Update Pool from resource (with both pools)
   b) Update Volume Parameters -> All Volumes from pool
Not until now your changes will take effect!
Reason: Retention periods are written to tape, not to catalog (well, they
are there, too, but that's not what counts for a tape).

Later, if your jobs-per-day need more than one tape, instead of Maximum
Volume Jobs, use:
Maximum Use Duration = 20 hours(Full) / 6 days(Incremental)
(Sometimes this is a little bit tricky to set up)

This Duration starts at the moment the first job is written on the tape.
After this period the tape is set to 'Used'.
And then immediately the Volume Retention Period starts to be counted, so:
Maximum Use Duration + Volume Retention = Earliest time when your tape
will be recycled.

Hope that helps!

Greets,
Christoff