On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Frank Sweetser wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 05:03:37PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > Egads,  thanks for the details.  I had forgotten about that aspect of
> > Unicode
> > since I rarely work with Windows (or Mac).  Hopefully myself or someone
> > else
> > Frank?  could summarized this for the manual.  For the moment, the manual
> > lacks all mention of Unicode/UTF-8, so I will add this to my todo so it
> > does
> > not get lost.
>
> I've thrown a note in the wiki about adding this in.  I'll make sure to try
> and write something up when I get back in a few weeks.

On a fairly recent Linux workstation, you can generate some UTF-8
filenames fairly easily:

  mkdir utf8-test
  cd utf8-test
  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  # get a list of UTF-8 locales on this system
  for loc in $(locale -a | grep utf8 | sort); do
    # generate filenames of days of the week
    # in various locales
    for n in $(seq 1 7); do
      touch $(env LANG="$loc" date +%A -d 2006/7/$n)
    done
  done
  ls

Test by backing up and restoring that directory with Bacula.

--
Paul Heinlein <> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <> www.madboa.com