Due to some poor foresight on the part of the implementers of
the "last" utilities, the lastlog is stored as a sparse file where
the specified size of the sparse file is based on the highest
possible user on the system.  On a 64-bit system, that means you
get a file which is reported by "ls" and seen by Bacula as
1254130450140 bytes (1.14 TB) in size.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ ls -l /var/log/lastlog
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1254130450140 Jul 13 07:34 /var/log/lastlog
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ du -k /var/log/lastlog
44      /var/log/lastlog

When I run backups of the root filesystem, my tape shows that the
sparse measurement rather than the real measurement:

+---------+------------+-----------+-------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+
| MediaId | VolumeName | VolStatus | VolBytes          | VolFiles |
VolRetention
| Recycle | Slot | InChanger | MediaType | LastWritten         |
+---------+------------+-----------+-------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+
|      15 | BU6115     | Append    | 1,267,501,546,360 |    1,280 |
604,800
|       1 |   15 |         0 | AIT4      | 2006-07-07 05:21:16 |
+---------+------------+-----------+-------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+

...oh if it was only true...

I have not specified sparse=yes in my FileSet because I didn't want
to check every file for sparseness, just that one file.  In addition,
I would expect that the default behavior of Bacula, and the documentation
seems to imply, that Bacula will backup the null-space inside a sparse
file and so it should have filled my tape with zeros.  Bacula didn't fill
my tape with zeros, but reported VolBytes inaccurately.  Does sparse=yes
only affect the reporting of the file size, not how the file is backed up?

What would be the best way of dealing with this issue?  It looks like
all users running Bacula on a 64-bit system will run into this problem
soon.

Thanks.

Greg