On 2006-07-25 18:24, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Help! Bacula is unable to use one of the two drives in our LTO2 (Dell
> Powervault 132) autochanger.
>

> I've been fine-tuning my bacula config, and went from having all backups
> going
> to a default pool to separate pools for incrementals, full, and archive
> backups.
>
> Previously, backups worked fine with the autochanger, writing to both tape
> drives at once.
>
> I haven't made any changes to the "Storage" resource in the bacula-dir.conf,
> or
> to the bacula-sd.conf at all. Only the Job definitions, Pools, and Schedules
> were changed in the bacula-dir file.
>
> I do not believe that this is a configuration issue, just that bacula is
> confused about whether it's got control over Drive-1, and that bacula needs
> have it's idea of the status of that device reset.
>
> Backups are working, but only to a single drive. The "status storage" command
> produces the following:
>

> -------------------
> Device status:
> Autochanger "pv132t" with devices:
>    "Drive-0" (/dev/tape0)
>    "Drive-1" (/dev/tape1)
> Device "Drive-0" (/dev/tape0) is mounted with Volume="000062"
> Pool="Incremental"
>     Slot 3 is loaded in drive 0.
>     Total Bytes=433,027,038,315 Blocks=6,712,350 Bytes/block=64,511
>     Positioned at File=433 Block=851
> Device "Drive-1" (/dev/tape1) is not open or does not exist.
>     Device is BLOCKED. User unmounted.
>     Drive 1 is not loaded.
> -------------------
>

> I've tried loading a new tape into drive 1 (via mtx, outside of bacula), but
> any attempt to get bacula to recognize the tape (update slots, mount,
> umount) seems to hang at "Contacting storage director".
>
> Currently, there are 8 backups running, writing (slowly!) to the same drive.
>
> Environment:
>       bacula-sd, bacula-dir 1.38.9 on the same server (Linux 2.4.26)
>       bacula-fd 1.38.9 on various servers
>

> [1] Is there any way to force bacula to recoginize the 2nd drive without
>     interrupting the current backups?
>
> [2] Will restarting bacula-sd interrupt the current backups (will they be
>     resumed at the same point)?
>
> I'd appreciate any answers as quickly as possible, as there is about 4TB of
> data being written very slowly, one tape at a time...when it could be using
> both devices.
>

> (By the way, I tried searching the archives on sourceforge before posting, but
> that returns the message "Permission Denied. Searching of non-projects is not
> allowed.")
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> ----
> Mark Bergman                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> System Administrator
> Section of Biomedical Image Analysis             215-662-7310
> Department of Radiology,           University of Pennsylvania

> [...]

./bconsole
mount
1

will mount the tape loaded in /dev/tape1 , but I guess you will get the same
problem as I have, where bacula select Drive-0 but will use the tape mounted in
Drive-1 , and the result will be that bacula unload drive-0 and send load x 0 to
the exchanger, that can't load the tape since it's loaded already.

This part must be rewritten I think :-(

It was working fine for me when I had a pool for each drive, but when I changed
to only one storage device (the autochanger) , I can't bind a drive to a pool
any more, nor limit the jobs/tape.

If you set "Prefer Mounted Volumes = no" on each Job{} , it will work good
enough, but it can still happen that bacula will mount a tape that is loaded in
an other drive.

/birre