Mathew Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>   I was wondering if anyone uses Bacula with Oracle RMAN (disk-based)
>   backups instead of purchasing Legato, Tivoli or Veritas Agent?  If so,
>   could you kindly share your experience.  Thanks.

Hi Matthew,

I use a combination of bacula and oracle rman disk based backups here.

I have a solaris 9 oracle 9.2 server (sunfire 280r) which has enough
local disk to hold the database and about a weeks worth of archivelogs .
The database is around 300gb and the ROC is about 13gb per week. What I
did was to use a 500gb mirrored filesystem on one of my linux servers
(dual opteron 248) and nfs share it with the oracle server, via gigabit
ethernet. Once it is nfs mounted on the oracle box (which is effectively
an NFS client) I use rman disk based backups to backup to the nfs
server. This works really well and even an *old* sun box is capable of
throwing 40+mb/s over the nfs. I then run bacula on the linux box
(single sdlt 320) and do a full backup each monday and differentials
every other day. My oracle full backup happens on a monday night which
is after the linux boxes full backup which means that my 300gb full
oracle backup gets backed up to tape every day until the next full
backup courtesy of the differential backup. However, in practice I only
leave the 300gb full backup around until it has been backup up to 3
seperate tapes (I've been bitten by the faulty tape thing once or twice
over the years !!). I also handle oracle archive logs with cron
scheduled rman backups to the nfs mount.

This works very well and allows me to be able to do database point in
time recovery fairly easily. I'd like more disk space so that I could
keep the full oracle backup online for a month or so and then do
differentials every day. Maybe the boss will spring for 2 more 750gb
sata drives ;-)

Hope this is informative.

Brian.